WHAT IS IT?
The Hong Kong Environmental Writers’ Competition 2019 is an annual competition for all secondary school students to show off their knowledge and creativity by writing about environmental issues. The idea was conceived in order to engage more students in environmental issues.
The purpose of the competition is to cultivate students so that they become a “mini-expert” in a small field of environmentalism through their own research and writing. Through preparing their submissions, students will gain skills and knowledge that are essential to environmental awareness and advocacy.
The Hong Kong Environmental Writers’ Competition 2019 will build up to the Hong Kong Air Pollution Conference on 26 October, hosted in Renaissance College. During this conference, experts in air pollution will be providing speeches and students will have the opportunity to converse with said experts and NGO leaders. This addresses a fundamental problem in environmental advocacy; a lack of communication between experts and students.
The winners of The Hong Kong Environmental Writers’ Competition will be announced during the Hong Kong Air Pollution Conference. It is advised to attend the HK Air Pollution Conference in order to redeem the prize on 26th October 2019.
- Senior (ages 14+): 3,000 HKD
- Junior (ages 12+): 2,000 HKD
ABOUT THE SUBMISSION
This year’s theme is Air Pollution, Health, and Sustainability. Students wishing to participate in this particular competition should submit an original text-based work that is no more than 1,000 words, excluding bibliography. The work will be judged on the following criteria.
- How in-depth is your understanding of the topic of your work?
- How insightful is your research?
- You will receive extra credit if you use primary research.
- How original is your topic?
- How have you looked at air pollution and public health in a different way?
- If you took one of our suggested essay topics, how have you made your work original?
- How well are your ideas articulated?
- Are your sources cited properly?
- Is your work organised in a coherent and easy-to-read manner?
We suggest text types such as analytical essays, lab reports, narrative essays. However, any and all forms of text are welcome.
Deadline for Signups: September 27th
Last day for Submission: October 12th – International Schools; 23rd – Local Schools
Please email your work in PDF form to email@example.com
If you are struggling to find the topic, please refer to this spreadsheet.
Please click the following link with the Form for submissions:
The Competition is supported by: